Sunday, September 11, 2011

Uniforms Issued Tomorrow

A photo of our school, the castle, taken from student housing dining hall.

Classes begin tomorrow and I am both excited and a little nervous. The Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners is like the United Nations, with many different countries represented and languages spoken. World peace through Italian cooking? Italian food conquering the world?

http://m.npr.org/story/137904978?url=/books/titles/137904978/how-italian-food-conquered-the-world

Many of the students are young. I could be the mother of my classmates. That is, if I had born children by foreign men later in life. They seem genuinely nice, outgoing and brimming with enthusiasm. I shall try not to hate them.

Tomorrow we are provided uniforms. Tonight, I get settled into my room, which I share with a young woman from Columbia, and maybe another person. I've heard two people comment that it is much calmer now that the Brazilians have left. I just smiled and nodded, because although spoken in English, I continue still not to fully understand the words spoken to me.

3 comments:

  1. I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.". You, my friend, seem to be accomplishing both simultaneously! I passed along your blog to some foodie friends in AZ, Houston, and beyond. I have enjoyed your blog thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to have found your blog! You are embarking on an amazing adventure, and I can't wait to follow along...

    Addie Broyles
    Austin American-Statesman
    @broylesa

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Addie, thanks for the follow! Please let me know if you have any suggested blog topics!

    ReplyDelete