Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Italian Dual Citizenship

I owe to Vincenzo Sicola both my surname and my connection to Italy. Abject poverty drove him, his wife Saveria Marino Sicola, and their children from Bisacquino, Sicily, a tiny town where still today a street bears the Sicola name, and in which town archives trace the Sicolas to The Renaissance period.

Having arrived in the USA through the port of New Orleans, with an occupation listed on the ship's manifest as "peasant," Vincenzo died many years later in Houston, Texas without having obtained U.S. citizenship.

Because my paternal lineage was born to an Italian, not American, citizen, I qualify for Italian dual citizenship. Go figure. Italy considers it a citizenship by birthright.

My dual citizenship journey has been in the works for many months. I'm optimistic that I will finalize dual citizenship when I return to Texas in 2012.

For information on Italian dual citizenship, check out this website and direct questions to Nicola (tell him Mary Sicola says hello). Www.italiandualcitizenship.com

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear from you. Sounds promising. Good luck and good cooking. Would love to continue receiving photos of your fabulous journey. As always, recipes are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear from you! I promise to post regularly to this blog, including video from the school, and recipes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting! So would I too qualify for citizenship by birthright? Thats neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy! Yes, you too qualify. It is interesting, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a nice informative blog in which you discuss about Finding Italian Root by having ancestors in Italy. Thanks for posting.

    Italian Birth Record | Italian Records

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finalmente, my appointment is scheduled for February with the Italian Consulate in Houston!

    ReplyDelete