Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Enologia

Our instructor and sommelier, Giancarlo Lercara, discussed the various regions for Italian wine production in our last enologia lecture. We tasted two red wines, a 2006 Colutta Refosco (Fruili) and a 2005 Moroder Rosso Conero.

Although I'm dedicated to learning the method, and I'm certainly doing my wine drinking homework, after a few sniffs of a glass, I simply cannot detect such scents as "fruits that have been processed, such as jams," "wood," "dried mushrooms, such as when you first open a package," "bay leaf," etc.

On the upside, I can detect a "cristallino" limpidity when I see the outline of my finger between the glass of red and a light source. (As can anyone with corrected vision, but I believe in setting the bar low when measuring success.)

Here's a neat video of Gianni decanting the Refresco. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozW141SFeyY

No comments:

Post a Comment