Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Trattoria Nostradamos

A trattoria is a small eatery, serving simple dishes reminiscent of grandmother's kitchen, if one was fortunate enough to have had an Italian nonna. While they do not have the extensive food or wine selection of a more formal ristorante, a trattoria provides authentic regional cuisine for a moderate price.

I love the informal, home-style cooking of a humble trattoria, and I find the food and service often exceed that of the ristoranti. The late, great Las Manitas of Austin, Texas reminds me of a Mexican food version of a trattoria.

Tonight I ate at Trattoria Nostradamos, a Como, Italy eatery with a one-page handwritten menu. I settled on the stuffed and baked tomatoes for my first dish, and ricotta and beet ravioli in a butter sage sauce as my second dish. Water, vino rosso and an after-dinner limoncello-- a very satisfying meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment