Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Stage

Part of the Master's Course at the Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners is "the stage" -- an externship, or practicum-- at an approved restaurant in Italy.  Because of visa problems, I was unable to complete the stage in Italy.  I resolved my frustration by  traveling Italy for a month with two classmates, touring wineries, taking a cooking course, and eating lots of great food.  And spending December with family and loved ones.  Things have a way of working out. The stories of my classmates' stage experiences in Italy run the gamut, some describing slave-like working and living conditions, others complaining of rampant sexism, and a few lucky ones reporting great experiences.  Most of my classmates left their stage within a few days or weeks, citing various reasons from work conditions, to responsibilities back home, to the need for dental work. My luck continued to hold as the school put me in touch with Sean Devereaux, a graduate of ICIF who owns a restaurant in Durango, Colorado.  Guido's Restaurant emphasizes the school's philosophy and techniques.  In other words, the food is Italian, not the typical fat-laden Italian American fare.  Sean has graciously accepted me as an intern. Guido's has a great website: http://www.guidosfavoritefoods.com/. After sixteen hours of driving I finally arrived in Durango, a lovely and charming town which has maintained its 1800s Western feel. I start work today.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds fabulous! I hope you enjoy your time there. Spent some time stationed in Colorado. Beautiful place. Best of luck to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm green with envy, I'm warm in Texas, bet it's cooler there. Fabulous to follow your passion.

    ReplyDelete